Friday, January 12, 2007

Why cabins are great...


This blog is actually an assignment for work. (Hard to believe that one, huh?)
We can write about anything, so of course, I feel compelled to write about things away from work!

Given the kind of work I do, being at a remote cabin is just about as far away from work as I can get! I don't have a cabin myself, but I do have wonderful family members willing to share their piece of 'slow down' tucked away in northeastern corner of Washington state.

Slow down.

Slow down means no electricity unless you have a flashlight, no indoor plumbing... (That really slows things down!) , no cabin heat unless you gather the wood. And no road in during snowy winter months... yep! During winter, you need to slowly access the cabin on foot - for about a mile's worth of walk or ski. And it's uphill - this helps in the winter, warms you up - since that cabin is cold when you first arrive!


Slow down means appreciating what you can do, and making 'make-do' an art form. This "roughest three in the west" provides unique challenges to the golf enthusiast!






Slowing down means there's time to work on a little inter-generational synchronized ("mirror") dancing for later public presentation at the campfire!



So much fun!




4 comments:

DawnP said...

Ah Clare, that place sounds wonderful! What a fantastic getaway! Ever rent it out?? Seriously....

Clare said...

Hi Dawn - Unfortunately, the place is not mine to rent out. But I'll pass on the idea. ;-). Clare

Sandyz said...

Well, this is odd...I know I posted a comment on 1/13. I wonder where it went???
Clare, your Cabin post brought childhood memories rushing back! As a child, I remember traveling w/my family (from Calif.)to visit my grandparents in Arlington, Washington. They lived in a shack in the woods. I loved it all...from the thimble berries on our breakfast cereal to the pump organ, oil lamps and yes, even the outhouse! I relocated to Arlington in 1970.. I always knew I was meant to live in the Pacific Northwest.

Social Web Literacy said...

What a wonderful philosophical posting, Clare!

Before I read the text to learn that someone in the picture was golfing, I thought he was "thoreau-ing" something.
(That's cabin humor.)

-Steve